Thanks to everyone for coming out to the 2nd Virtual Open House meeting on March 16th!
Missed the meeting? It’s not too late to review plan concepts and provide your input. Two options to remain involved:
- Swing by Town Hall for our DIY Open House! Streetscape Plan exhibits are posted in the halls. There you can review concepts up close, grab a marker, and comment on the input sheets.
- Visit the Project Website! Click on the Documents tab to review past planning activities and materials.
Join us March 16th for a Virtual Open House!
Thank you, Munster! We heard your comments about calming traffic, improving pedestrian safety and adding greening along Calumet Avenue and Ridge Road. Please join us on Tuesday, March 16th at 7pm on Zoom to review the Conceptual Streetscape Plan and to provide your input.
- Topic: Calumet – Ridge Streetscape Plan – Virtual Public Meeting #2
- Time: Mar 16, 2021 07:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
- Join Zoom Meeting
- Meeting ID: 899 9254 7844
- Passcode: 828496
Open House Recap
Thank you to all who joined for our first virtual open house on December 10th! If you missed it, head to the Documents page to view meeting materials, the Zoom recording, and a summary. And scroll down for a preview of some of the concept plan imagery that was featured.
Concept Plan Imagery Presented at 12/10 Virtual Open House
- Results are in from Streetscape Poll #1 and Poll #2 is now LIVE! Nearly 600 of you participated in Poll #1 and provided valuable input that will shape the direction of this project. Thank you for this tremendous response! Check out findings and results in the Poll #1 Summary here and then take Poll #2 today!
- Thanks to everyone who stopped by our Idea Booth at the August 4th Community Market! Your great locally sourced insights for the Calumet / Ridge Streetscape Study Area have been summarized and can be viewed here.
- Register for Project News: Enter your email via the follow button in the sidebar / footer of this website and accept the confirmation email. From there you will receive news updates right to your inbox.
Munster is embarking on a streetscape plan focused on the Calumet – Ridge corridor areas. Historically the crossroads of Munster, the goal of this project is to develop a more welcoming environment for walking, biking, to reinforce a sense of place in our community, and to enhance their ability to absorb stormwater and reduce flooding.
Key themes to be evaluated include:
- A safe and comfortable pedestrian environment
- A functional streetscape providing stormwater benefits
- A consistent and beautiful public realm
- A sense of arrival and identity
- A multimodal system that balances access and mobility
Great ideas, like those noted below, are streaming in. Add yours to the mix by clicking “share input“.
“A consistent and beautiful “public realm” … there needs to be improved safety for bikes/walkers. The look-n-feel should represent our area in terms of prairie and the dunes… Studies show that bikers/walkers are more likely to shop than motorists.”
Sense of Arrival
“Potentially a big water feature (that can use stormwater run off) look at the Village of Rosemont signage at the corner of Higgins Rd. and North River Rd. Themes that are uniquely Munster: Prairie, Dunes, Art (Art Center).”
Bike Lanes + Sidewalks
“More bike lanes that our kids can ride on around town. Add sidewalks on 45th extension going to Westlakes & south of centennial part going to dunkin/cvs corner.”
Ridge Road, from the state line (west) to Columbia Avenue (east); Calumet Avenue, from Little Calumet River (north) to Ridge Road intersection (south). Click to enlarge map.
How can I get involved?
So glad you asked! The planning team is currently collecting and reviewing data, which will become the basis for the planning study. Once ready, we will be sharing and asking for your input! Upcoming planning activities are also in the works.
While data collection is underway, please enter your email via the “follow” tool (located in the sidebar for desktop viewers and footer for mobile users), accept the confirmation email, and stay tuned for notifications on opportunities to share and engage! You can also visit the ‘Share Input‘ page to submit feedback 24/7.
Community Outreach Kick-Off + Site Analysis
May 2020 – Jul 2020
Planning Concepts + Alternatives Testing
Aug 2020 – Nov 2020
Final Plan Drafting + Adoption
Dec 2020 – Mar 2021
Note: Community Outreach is ongoing from May 2020 to March 2021.
Funding for this project was provided in part by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Lake Michigan Coastal Program.