Virtual Public Open House | Thursday, Dec. 10th @ 7PM
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, thank you to the hundreds of folks who have shared their ideas for the Calumet-Ridge Streetscape Plan!
We are excited to continue the conversation at our first virtual public open house on Thursday, December 10th from 7-8:30 PM. Join us to view a concept presentation from the planning team, followed by an input activity and Q+A.
We hope to “see you” on Zoom! Login details are below and we are encouraging (but not requiring) RSVPs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join Zoom Meeting:
- Telephone: 312 626 6799
- Meeting ID: 864 0750 7298
Click the flyer below to download and share!
- Results are in from the Streetscape Poll: nearly 600 of you participated and provided valuable input that will shape the direction of this project. Thank you for this tremendous response! Check out findings and results in the Poll Summary here.
- Thanks to everyone who stopped by our Idea Booth at the August 4th Community Market! Your great locally sourced insights for the Calumet / Ridge Streetscape Study Area have been summarized and can be viewed here.
- Register for Project News: Enter your email via the follow button in the sidebar / footer of this website and accept the confirmation email. From there you will receive news updates right to your inbox.
Munster is embarking on a streetscape plan focused on the Calumet – Ridge corridor areas. Historically the crossroads of Munster, the goal of this project is to develop a more welcoming environment for walking, biking, to reinforce a sense of place in our community, and to enhance their ability to absorb stormwater and reduce flooding.
Key themes to be evaluated include:
- A safe and comfortable pedestrian environment
- A functional streetscape providing stormwater benefits
- A consistent and beautiful public realm
- A sense of arrival and identity
- A multimodal system that balances access and mobility
Great ideas, like those noted below, are streaming in. Add yours to the mix by clicking “share input“.
“A consistent and beautiful “public realm” … there needs to be improved safety for bikes/walkers. The look-n-feel should represent our area in terms of prairie and the dunes… Studies show that bikers/walkers are more likely to shop than motorists.”
Sense of Arrival
“Potentially a big water feature (that can use stormwater run off) look at the Village of Rosemont signage at the corner of Higgins Rd. and North River Rd. Themes that are uniquely Munster: Prairie, Dunes, Art (Art Center).”
Bike Lanes + Sidewalks
“More bike lanes that our kids can ride on around town. Add sidewalks on 45th extension going to Westlakes & south of centennial part going to dunkin/cvs corner.”
Ridge Road, from the state line (west) to Columbia Avenue (east); Calumet Avenue, from Little Calumet River (north) to Ridge Road intersection (south). Click to enlarge map.
How can I get involved?
So glad you asked! The planning team is currently collecting and reviewing data, which will become the basis for the planning study. Once ready, we will be sharing and asking for your input! Upcoming planning activities are also in the works.
While data collection is underway, please enter your email via the “follow” tool (located in the sidebar for desktop viewers and footer for mobile users), accept the confirmation email, and stay tuned for notifications on opportunities to share and engage! You can also visit the ‘Share Input‘ page to submit feedback 24/7.
Community Outreach Kick-Off + Site Analysis
May 2020 – Jul 2020
Planning Concepts + Alternatives Testing
Aug 2020 – Nov 2020
Final Plan Drafting + Adoption
Dec 2020 – Mar 2021
Note: Community Outreach is ongoing from May 2020 to March 2021.
Funding for this project was provided in part by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Lake Michigan Coastal Program.